Friday, October 4, 2019

Rood Math. Math problem upsets student and parent.

A representative from Merriam-Webster, speaking on behalf of the words 'Write' and 'Its', said, "We would like people to stop thinking we all look the same and have the same meaning."

A fourth-grader at a Utah elementary school says a problem on her math homework was offensive.

The math problem compared girls' weights, KSTU reports.

I didn’t like that because girls shouldn’t be comparing each other. I know it was a math problem … but I don’t think that was really OK," 9-year-old Rhythm told KSTU.

The question read as follows: "The table to the right shows the weight of three Grade 4 students. How much heavier is Isabell than the lightest student?"

I was shocked … I was shocked, honestly,” Naomi Pacheco, Rhythm's mother, said about the assignment.

Rhythm did not answer the question. Instead, she circled the question and explained why she would not answer it.

"What! This is offensive! Sorry I won’t write this it’s rude!" Rhythm wrote in response to the math problem.

{Snip, - blah blah, feelings validated, etc etc - }

[.]
“I can certainly see if a fourth-grade student did misconstrue that question. However, in math curriculum, wasn’t about body image — the question was about moving kilograms to pounds,” Melissa Hamilton, director of elementary teaching and learning, said.

No comments: