Friday, April 3, 2020

Mask or No Mask? And no ice cream - WTF?

To mask or not? Good luck finding them retail. I haven't checked online. I hate online shopping and avoid it like the plague. The Boss is checking online, I guess.

The Philadelphia Inquirer: Should you wear a mask in public?
...researcher, Jeremy Howard, pointed to findings in dozens of scientific papers that indicate even the most basic of masks can be an effective tool in reducing virus transmission. A simple mask can be made without sewing by tying together two layers of a cut-up cotton blend T-shirt and covering the face and nose with it, being sure to wash the covering after each use.
Jeremy Howard was also on Laura Ingraham's program tonight and a segment featuring DIY paper towel masks. Take two or three sheets of paper towel, keep folding it length-wise until narrow, staple the ends together including a rubber band being attached with a staple (or two). Unfold it, put rubber bands on your ears, cover your mouth and nose and there ya go, a disposable face mask.

A few days ago in one of the supermarkets - why, I don't know - the cheese aisle was virtually empty. Cheese? Cheese. Is this a precursor to some future cheese-hoarding-crowd mentality?

TP disappeared a while back, re-appeared and was scooped up like it was gold and now is being restocked and is usually available. Shelves of disinfectant, hand sanitizer, bleach or hydrogen peroxide are empty.

Haven't seen Vitamin C anywhere for well over a week. I think taking extra C is great, but I can't believe how it vanished so quickly, probably by many who until this moment, never believed in its benefits. Panic and frenzy sells; the Herd usually moves in predictable ways.


On the way home, I had to stop at a big-box store that sells groceries. The Mrs. called, asked me to buy her some vanilla ice cream. None to be found. WTF? The ice cream freezer aisle was virtually empty. The few actual ice creams available were oddball flavors like cotton candy and sprinkles, and I knew she didn't want that. I phone her, tell her no vanilla, she says to forget it. Being the Trophy Husband that I am, I went to another store that had ice cream in stock, (not a lot, but enough), and vanilla, so I brought some home.

What's the next commodity the public will enter into Frenzy Mode that will disappear off the shelves? I want to be ahead of the curve. Eye drops? OTC spray for jock itch? Green food dye # 3? Bac-Os?

One shortage I haven't yet seen anywhere is in the cereal aisles. So far, they've been fully stocked, everywhere. Go figure.

I'm conscience of not touching my face, keeping distance from the gen pop as much as possible (always have, too many idiots) and use hand-sanitizer. I'm not sold on wearing a mask. Are you? Any items out of stock that normally aren't (other than the usual TP, OTC cold medicine, etc). Ice cream?

No comments: