Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Penguins Flail on ice in Game 4, NHL Cup

Nashville again dominated their home ice in last night's Game 4 of the Cup playoff winning  4 to 1 against Pittsburgh.

Let's get the ugly and woefully incorrect predictions "we" made for last night's game out of the way:
Fansided: Predators 4, Penguins 2

Oddsshark and Vegas Insider: Predators 8,  Penguins 7

My Game 4 prediction:  Pens 8, Preds 7 in one OT.
Fansided came the closest.

The Preds win evens the series with two games apiece. So, they start all over again, all coming down to three final games. Game 5 is Thursday, June 8 in Pittsburgh. I'm going to hold off on any predictions until Thursday.

I think the Refs and game Officials tended to favor the Preds in the first two periods BUT I am someone who does believe you can't blame losing on the Refs, in any sport. Maybe, if the game score had been 4 - 3 and in its second OT, and the Preds won, I'd say there was preferential favoritism towards them. But not with a final score of 4 - 1.

Nashville's Frederick Gaudreau's goal was reviewed for perhaps not being a goal where the puck did not fully cross the goalie crease. After review, it was ruled the puck fully crossed, and awarded another point to the Preds. And it was downhill for the Penguins  for the rest of the game.


I can't see this series going less than the full seven games; three remaining. And if I were a betting man - which I am not - I'd put money on The Pens. I have to believe in my hockey heart of hearts, they have a unfathomable burning desire to win two Cups in a row, which hasn't occurred since 1997-1998 season by the Detroit Red Wings.

Last night, as they looked on Saturday night, the Pens couldn't put anything together. They played like hell, but nothing happened. They lacked focus. They looked like they didn't know what to do on the ice (I've said this before).

I have to think the Pen will win game 5 at home.

Pens Coach Mike Sullivan isn't saying which goalie will start Thurday night; the 'new kid" Matt Murray or Marc-Andre Fleury who hasn't seen ice since game 3 of the Penguins loss to the Ottawa Senators.

I really enjoyed seeing former NBA star Charles Barkley in the booth between the second and third period. Hell, I think he should replace Mike Milbury!

Game 5 will be an intense and hard fought game. Again, I have no horse in this race, but I would like to see the Pens repeat.

Here's some advice for The Pens from one of the greatest NHL luminaries of the game, Herb Brooks: 
His most notable achievement came in 1980 as head coach of the gold medal-winning U.S.Olympic Hockey team at Lake Placid. At the games, Brooks' US team upset the heavily favored Soviet Union team in a match that came to be known as the 'Miracle on Ice'.

Before the game, Brooks read his players a statement he had written out on a piece of paper, telling them that...
"You were born to be a player. You were meant to be here. This moment is yours."
Pens: "You are meant to be in this year's Cup Final. This back-to-back championship is yours."

Disclaimer: The above is purely guesswork on my part and is not in any way to be taken as advice on sports betting or engaging in gambling or wagering; legal, illegal or other.

No comments: