Thursday, July 5, 2018

Ed Schultz, former Air America personality dead at 64

January 27, 1954 – July 5, 2018

I was surprised to read that radio and television personality Ed Schultz died. Twin Cities.com:
Sources in Fargo, N.D., say that Schultz died of natural causes in Washington, D.C. He was 64.
[.]
 He [dominated] local airwaves as a conservative firebrand in the 1990s.

However, he later said his views changed and he became a Democrat.

In 2004, Schultz took his radio show nationwide.
Then in 2009, he moved to national television, becoming a prime-time progressive voice on MSNBC.
What are "natural causes" at age 64? Yes, 64 isn't 35 or 48...but 64 due to natural causes?

He later moved on working for RT News.

To say that I didn't think all that much of Ed Schultz is an understatement. Ed could get rather nasty at times, and, blogging at my old site, yeah...I took some sharp jabs at many things he said. I thought he was rather buffoon-ish and, I wrote it in the past so I can't deny it (nor would I) - I referred to him as, "Big, Fat and Dumb."

Maybe he spoke outlandish, beyond-the-point-of-pushing-the-envelope statements in order for ratings/attention/more gigs/enduring himself to the Fringe Left? I don't know. I do know I think it is very...very NOT nice...to refer to anyone as " a dead whore. " Well...I guess Ed had his demons, as do we all. And, not judging here, only noting that some of us deal with, and process, our demons better - or worse - than do others.

Back then, Air America was trying to build a successful, Liberal-oriented talk network that would compete with conservative talk radio. To make it successful, (which it was not) it's entirely possible their on-air hosts spoke outrageous and pretty darn venomous  statements pandering to, what then was, a very agitated Liberal Fringe, the same agitated Liberal Fringe we have currently.

Some of the things he said on his radio program provided me fun material to play with.

No gloating here, though, on the news of his passing. I wish his family, friends and colleagues my condolences and sympathy.

As (the character) Doc (played by Russell Hodgkinson ) says in the (fantastic) series Z Nation, "...all is forgiven in the end."

RIP "Big Eddy".

No comments: