Friday, March 9, 2018

Friday Morning Music Video Selection (Grab your coffee...)

I'm (really) late in discovering The Art of McCartney where other musicians sing the music of Paul McCartney/John Lennon/Beatles (see Wiki Item 3 for track listings). I like the idea, and it's worth checking out other artists covering the McCartney/Lennon/Beatles song catalog.

What surprised me at the YouTube site of today's selection were some of the viewer comments of, "I never knew Alice  had such a great voice." Heck, he's always had, and has, a great and distinctive voice. His ballad-style songs ("Only Women Bleed" , or "How You Gonna See Me Now" ) are outstanding showcases of how subtle and nuanced his voice is and his range.

So the below clip is a slight departure (retro videos featuring tasteful and attractive ladies) from the usual fare of the "Friday Morning Music Video Selection".

The one other thing I noticed at the You Tube link of the video were comments simply saying "Auto-Tune ." I have no way of knowing if an Auto-Tune was used or not - but then, I started thinking...  Alice has been singing, incredibly successfully, and continues touring, for 50 years. He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. "Rigby" seems to be in a key that is natural for his voice, so really, it shouldn't be surprising that he nails the song perfectly, is it? I've seen him in concert and he's fantastic. What's your take?

Besides my always liking Alice, add to a video split-screen , floating-black-multi-"block" screen technique and dissolves, fades-to-white-with-Black-Font and double-reverse mirror imagery and I'm hooked.

One other interesting note; his political views... pretty darn good, and funny, IMHO:
Cooper's philosophy regarding politics is that politics should not be mixed with rock music. Cooper has usually kept his political views to himself, and in 2010 said, "I am extremely non-political. I go out of my way to be non-political.["]
[.]
... in the run-up to the 2004 presidential election, he told the Canadian Press that the rock stars campaigning for and touring on behalf of Democratic candidate John Kerry were committing "treason against rock n' roll". He added, upon seeing a list of musicians who supported Kerry, "If I wasn't already a Bush supporter, I would have immediately switched. Linda Ronstadt? Don Henley? Geez, that's a good reason right there to vote for Bush."









 

No comments: